Monday, October 19, 2009

True Confession: Betty and Veronica

I have a confession to make. I bought the original art to an Archie Comics' story.

I used to collect original art, then I got interested in other things and it got too expensive. Now that I've been looking around at some lately, it's gotten really expensive. Me and a friend were lamenting back in the 1980's we would see original art for sale for $10 a page and wouldn't get it. Now we look back and think "Hell, a Superman page for $10, who cares if the art isn't that great, it's Superman! Only $10! Why didn't we grab it?"

So, I saw this Betty & Veronica story for $48 (less than $10 a page!) and thought what the hell. I mostly associate Archie comics with going to the dentist when I was a kid. This one is from a bit later, 1992. It has all the classic elements of an Archie, Betty and Veronica story. Hell, it's even called "The Triangle." I like the panel of Veronica all pissed off at the bottom of page 2, and page 4 is pretty fun with the phone action and the pictures of Archie by the table. All these stories are the same, and I think they really are written by a computer.

For your reading pleasure: "The Triangle," pencils by Dan Parent, inks by Rudy Lapick. From a 1992 issue of Betty and Veronica.















No comments: